Sunday, April 13, 2008

Duffy - Rockferry

I mentioned Duffy a while back but I thought I should write a bit about her now considering her album has been released in the UK, has gone number 1 and has had given several chart entries since then. If you've never heard of Duffy let me see if I can get you up to date in as little words as possible. She's from Wales. She is, quite obviously, a singer-songwriter. She is often compared to Amy Winehouse, so you can think of her genre as indie soul-pop..

I actually got a hard copy of her album Rockferry this week (though I've been listening to it for a month or so...magically) at a non-import price. I know Rockferry wasn't supposed to drop in the U.S. until May 13th and I assumed that was when we would get in Canada but I guess not. Or maybe it is an import, I don't know. All that matters is that if you want it you can go to your local CD store and grab it.

And you should. You know when you first here a song by a new artist and you just don't know if they will turn out other good tracks (this is not exclusive to Duffy but true of everyone). Well, Duffy does produce other great songs, in fact, Rockferry is full of them. Although the track 'Rockferry' is up there, it might not even be the best song. I think this spot might be reserved for 'Stepping Stone.' If I had to choose the one song that you needed to listen to of this album it would be this one. Loved it upon first listen. 'Warwick Avenue' and ''Mercy' are up there too. There are even some B-sides that, in my opinion, should have been on the album considering it only has 10 songs. This could have easily been a solid 12-track album.

There are really no bad songs here. This is probably why numerous music insiders have chosen her as one of the artists to watch in 2008. 2008 is well on its way and so, it seems, is Duffy.

Download: Duffy - Tomorrow [mp3]
MySpace: Duffy
Duffy: Official Website

Buy Rockferry

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
WIUP's The Sunday Sampler with Marc Morrison said...

Tis an excellent track. Thanks for introducing her to me!

Name: Melissa said...

No problem!