Sunday, September 16, 2007

Feist; The Canadian Chanteuse

Ok, so I think I've waited long enough to post some Canadian talent. I have no idea what has taken so long. The amount of talent in Canada right now is limitless. We all know about The Arcade Fire by now, so I can think of no better Canadian talent to discuss than Feist. And even though she no longer calls Canada home, we can still consider her ours.

If I had to sum up Feist's music in one word it would be 'brilliant.' Honestly, her soft raspy vocals are as good as it comes. It is perfection. And Feist has a strong musical background. She played in several bands including Placebo and By Divine Right. Not to mention, and another indication of the Great White North's strong music scene, Canadian super group Broken Social Scene. In 1999, Feist began recording her solo albums, the first of which (called Monarch) is no longer being pressed. Her second album, Let It Die, is the one that shot her into the mainstream. If you don't have this album or have never listened to Feist before, this is the one that I would pick up first. It is a great collection of work. This year she released her third solo album called The Reminder. In it, Feist picks up just where she left off. The songs are a little more poppy but again vocally, no one compares.

And Canada knows it because 'The Reminder' is on the shortlist for 2007's Polaris Music Prize. This is Canada's equivalent to the Mercury Music Prize in the UK. Feist is up against such artists as The Dears, The Arcade Fire, Junior Boys and Joel Plaskett Emergency.

Interesting tidbit: She once shared an apartment in Toronto with electro-punk artist, Peaches. Seriously. I can't make this stuff up.

Download[mp3]: Feist - My Moon, My Man
MySpace: Feist
Feist: Official Webpage

Buy The Reminder

2 comments:

Dave B said...

The Reminder is one of my favorite CDs of the year. She's great in concert, too; I saw her on her current tour and also a couple of years back when she was supporting Let it Die. She's gotten written up in the NY Times, Rolling Stone, and the New Yorker this year.

I'm pulling for Feist for the Polaris, though I like most of the other nominees too (I'm a regular listener to the CBC Radio 3 podcast, so have become quite familiar with Canadian indie music over the last couple of years).

--Dave B
www.podcastparty.blogspot.com

Name: Melissa said...

Feist is pretty great. Never had the chance to see her in concert though.

I'm pulling for her or the Arcade Fire. Both albums are fantastic.

Thanks for the comment.